CARING FOR YOUR JEWELRY
Many factors can influence the condition of jewelry. Therefore you should make sure that your pieces are properly cleaned and stored. Please read through the care instructions to ensure your jewelry keeps its appearance.
Please be advised that sterling silver and copper are fairly soft metals, therefore please do not apply pressure when cleaning or storing your pieces, for instance the needles of your earrings as they could easily bend, this also applies to resizable rings, please adjust your resizable rings to your size with care and do not apply too much pressure or bend too far apart as this could result in the product breaking, in this case we would not be able to cover for you due to too much force being applied to the product.
To protect your pieces, your jewelry should be individually placed in pouches they come in or within a soft lined box to stop them being scratched or tangled. Ideally, store your jewelry in a dark, cool and dry place and try to keep your jewelry separate, so that it doesn't rub together or tangle up.
Store like items together. Do not store gold plating and silver plating together. The different metals will cause each other to fade. Have different storage places for different colors of metals like gold & silver. Store in a dry, dark area.
Stainless Steel does not fade. It's very durable & made to last. Stainless Steel shines just like real silver or gold. Although it doesn’t tarnish or corrode and doesn’t require special care, it can scratch. That’s why you should wear and store your pieces in a way that minimizes any contact with other items that can damage your stainless steel jewelry. To minimise any appearance of scratches if it does happen, we recommend polishing it with a jewelry polishing cloth. Store your stainless steel pieces separately from jewelry made of other metals. It is best if you keep your stainless steel items in individual bags or pouches to prevent scratches.
The simplest way to clean your stainless steel jewelry is with a bit of soap and water when it's dull and dirty. This helps clean off any pollutants and grime on your jewelry. Remember to please use a mild liquid soup and warm water.
Soak the stainless jewelry in a bowl containing a mixture of mild soap and warm water and let sit for a few minutes. Next, take a soft cloth and rub the jewelry. For hard to reach areas, like grooves or engravings, you can use a soft-bristled toothbrush that will ensure you reach those hard to get places. Once you've thoroughly cleaned off your jewelry, reassure you've dried your piece with another lint-free cloth to remove all possibilities of water spots.
If your stainless steel pieces contain other metals such as gold or platinum in the plating, the piece is waterproof, however wearing it in the shower or in the swimming pool can make the plating fade away over time, as chlorine found in the water can damage the other metals on your stainless steel jewelry.
Titanium is one of the most durable metals jewelry can be made of. Here are some tips to help you clean your titanium rings or other jewelry pieces and take good care of them. Although this metal is very durable and hard to damage, it is not completely scratch resistant, please care for it as you would for stainless steel.
If your titanium pieces contain other metals such as gold or platinum in the plating, avoid wearing it when you are in the shower or in the swimming pool. The chlorine found in the water can damage the other metals on your titanium jewelry.
Silver jewelry will naturally tarnish over time. Using a jewellery polishing cloth is an effective way to keep silver jewelry looking shiny and lustrous.
- Ideally, store silver pieces in an airtight bag (which is provided with your pieces when purchasing from us) to help reduce tarnishing.
- Do not use tissue paper or paper towels to clean sterling silver as they can cause scratching.
- Do not use polishing creams or polishing cloths on plated jewellery, as it can remove the plating.
If you want to to clean your silver jewelry at home, you can use a silver cleaning dip:
- Line a glass container with tin foil; pour some hot water, and add one or two tablespoons of salt and baking soda.
- Put your silver pieces in the dip, and leave them there for about five minutes.
- After the tarnish disappears, rinse your jewelry with water and dry it using a soft cloth.
GOLD PLATED JEWELRY
Plating is a process where a layer of gold is placed on to coat the surface of another metal. As the jewelry is not 100% solid gold, extra care should be taken to maximize its lifespan. Anything plated will eventually tarnish with time and wear. Decrease the chances of your plated pieces fading & to prolong the plating by following the below advise.
- Do not spray on perfume or other sprays while wearing your gold-plated jewelry.
- Wait until your lotion or cream is dry or has been absorbed by your skin before you wear your gold plated ring, bracelet or necklace.
- Substances like oil, nail polish, nail polish remover, chlorine, and perfume may react with plated jewelry. This is also true for sweat, so make sure you remove your gold plated jewelry when you exercise or doing anything requiring heavy work and when swimming.
- If the base material is stainless steel it will not tarnish or turn green, however these measures are advised to be taken to prolong the life of gold plating. After every use, clean your plated jewelry with a cotton ball or a very soft cloth to remove any dust and dirt. Gently rubbing the surface of your gold plated jewelry using a soft jewelry cloth, helps restore shine.
- Please note, do not use a polishing cloth as this will strip away the plating. If your jewelry needs more cleaning you may clean it with warm, soapy water. Soak it for a few minutes and you may clean it with a soft cloth.
- Stay away from jewelry cleaners and antibacterial soaps which may have certain components that will make your gold plated jewelry breakdown more quickly.
- To avoid scratches, wrap your jewelry in a soft cloth after cleaning or keep it in a jewelry box or the pouch that it comes in when ordering from us, also keep it separate from other types of jewelry you have.